An explosion in a residence in Anderson County, South Carolina, was caused by the residents’ attempt to blend pool chemicals within a receptacle, as per the county’s hazmat authorities report.
According to a report by WYFF 4, hazmat officials say the residents had been mixing pool chemicals, which are not meant to be mixed, in a bucket in the kitchen sink when the explosion occurred.
According to Fox Carolina, hazmat authorities reported the explosion was a result of an exothermic chemical reaction, emitting both heat and pressure.
WYFF 4’s report related how the release of the hazardous chlorine gas dispersed chemicals throughout the kitchen area. The residents fled the house to seek refuge in their pool to rid themselves of any chemical residue.
According to the Fox Carolina report, the three residents had non-life-threatening injuries and were treated by EMS personnel on site and later taken to a hospital for further treatment. It has been confirmed by the hazmat team that the situation has been resolved and the house is no longer affected.