The Kinsmen Water Park and Frank J. Dunn swimming pool in Prince Albert, Sask., were shut down by Health Officials in August after a Cryptosporidium (Crypto) outbreak made some bathers sick.
According to a report in the Globe and Mail, officials said people may have been exposed to the parasite in either of the aquatic venues as they were the common element between several of those who tested positive for the parasite. As a result, the city closed the pools for the remainder of the season as a precaution.
The report further stated those who used either facility between late April and mid-August were also possibly exposed to the parasite, which can cause serious gastrointestinal illness.
Depending on the severity, symptoms of the illness, which include watery diarrhea, abdominal cramps, nausea, and headaches, can take between two and 25 days to show after exposure.